Saturday, April 24, 2010

WYSIWYG

I was writing a press release for a client when I ran across the acronym: WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) and it made me pause. I have one identity across the Internet - on Twitter, Facebook, forums... whatever. I say what's on my mind and rarely censor myself. Is this a good thing?

In real-non-Internet life, I took that tack when I was PTA president. I told people in meetings that, while a president should be impartial, I had opinions. I would refrain from voting, but I wouldn't refrain from expressing myself. I told them to impeach me if they didn't like it. People didn't always agree with me, but they didn't want me to leave office... making it very difficult to step down when I was ready to move on.

Anyway, yesterday, someone was very nasty to a dear friend of mine on Twitter. I, of course, went on the attack. It didn't take long to put the jerk in his place. He never stood a chance. Within 4 tweets he was acknowledging his error. But... do I risk putting myself in an unfavorable light by calling a fucktard a fucktard?

I'm a freelance writer. But, more importantly, I'm a loyal friend. I do risk putting people off with my sarcasm and biting wit. Yesterday was really my first attack on anyone. It was completely justified and I am not sorry. Not in the least. But it raises this question: Should I have some separate identity online that is more restrained and professional? The very thought makes me shudder.

I am who I am. When working, I am professional. I produce excellent quality work, on anything from articles to blogs to fiction. Part of what I bring to the table is my dedication. What do you think? Do I need to try to be more politically correct online? If so, I'm not sure how to do that... I'm WYSIWYG.

5 comments:

  1. There are many that feel you should have a personal account, where no one can connect you to your professional self. This way you can say what you want, and your career won't suffer.

    I have found myself un-following people that curse a lot or talk about politics. I follow them for their business wisdom, not their personal views.

    I have found myself wanting to respond to some outlandish views I see on twitter. But as a business, I must remain neutral. Religion, politics and language turn a lot of people off. You have to think about what is more important, your voice or your image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself have a mostly anonymous identity for my snark. I am careful not to connect that identity with my place of business, especially as my business is hospitality and I need to outwardly project a welcoming, accepting and gracious attitude to be successful. Needless to say, I keep a lot of snark bottled up during business hours. To compound that, I am somewhat private about broadcasting my opinions to the public. I don't like the idea of political bumper stickers or yard signs, for instance. I have no trouble talking politics with people I know and asserting my views, but I dislike being pigeonholed and labeled on a single aspect of my personality by people who don't know me.

    All this is a long-winded way for me to say, yeah, I think two personas is the way to go, but my way isn't for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't Tweet, so I'm not sure about it all, but I'd err on the side of keeping personal and professional separate.
    What I say and do as "Canthz_B" is not always indicative of my true self.
    It may be hard for some to differentiate between over the top humor and vicious attacks and my thoughtful, diligent, professional manner when I'm involved in my work.
    "Canthz_B" is a release valve of sorts for pent up frustration at times.
    I think maybe it's good to have both a Jekyll and a Hyde.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm that's a very good question Wotv. when you are in service industry like glo I think you don't have any choice but to hide behind anonymity. That being said I don't like to have different identities between my personal and professional self. If you notice as an oi I am mostly nice and if I am not nice on internet to somebody I would not be nice with them in real life either. Not that I would go killing/insulting or being rude to them but they won't be in my life. I would just behave like that person does not exist for me. Internet anonymity has given me some freedom to voice my unlikes but I can't do that full extent. I tend to shut down if somebody can't see my side after some time. I just don't care. If you meet me in person my opinions won't be different from what oi says on internet, That is possible for me because I am not in public service industry and being basically a nice person.
    so I guess if your carrier is on stake then you should go with a different identity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hai dorothy, First of all change your mind set. In any industry ups and downs (positive and negative) will be there. In my pint of view, WYTWYG,(What You Think What You Get)for more writing freelance jobs see in the website: https://greatlance.com/.

    ReplyDelete