Friday, December 4, 2009

Potential Employer Questions: Was I Right to be Offended?

I recently applied for a blogging gig for a company that sells products both online and in physical stores. They sent out a mass email, asking all applicants to complete a survey so they could whittle down the list of candidates. The first several questions were basic, but then things got a little uncomfortable.

I was asked if I had shopped on their site. Well, no, I hadn't, but I had visited it. I was, of course then unable to answer the question asking about my experience with their store or website. I was then asked where the nearest physical store location was located. I had to use their completely unacceptable store finder to finally locate the nearest one.

This when it got even odder. I was asked about my blog and the url. No big deal. Then I was asked if I sell advertising on my blog and if I am willing to share this new business blog on my other blog. The next question asked if I tweet. Why, yes, I do... but why do you care how many followers I have? It then asks for numbers of blog subscribers (none - this is a newer blog), facebook friends, and even the number of contacts in my email address book!

When I finally bypassed those questions, I found my way to the creative writing section. It asked for a story about my childhood. Then I was to choose a product and say why it would make a good gift, and then 10 varied blog subjects for comment.

I stopped answering questions when I was asked about my social networking. It felt like a fishing expedition for the most prolific tweeters with the largest followings who could be used to promote the business. I emailed the company and told them this. I also told them that I would not be applying for a job with them. They danced around my issues and said that I wouldn't be expected to use my address book... but if I chose to...

I choose not to. The questions were too pushy and seemed ethically questionable. I'll find work elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment