Friday, September 30, 2011

Manufacturers, Service Centers, and Plumbers, Oh My...

I'm angry. And that's putting it mildly. I have a dishwasher and before you get all in my face, I admit that I am totally and completely spoiled by having it. Except right now. Because it was bright and shiny and new and worked for 6 months. Now it just sprays water at the dishes and vomits out the soap down the shiny door where it becomes cement.

As an aside - our usual plumber did not install this as he had just had surgery so we had someone else do it.

I called the manufacturer, who helpfully provided me with a list of qualified warranty approved service centers. I called one. The tech came over. I think he was about 12. He barely looked at it and blamed installation and said to call a plumber and have him fix the drain hose because it has to loop and there was a bunch of hose under the machine and it drains into the floor and blah blah blah call a plumber.

The plumber, who I know and trust because, aside from the fact that he has done great work for us for as long as I can remember, was here with me on 9/11 and we watched the tragedy unfold together. Anyway, he looked at it, pulled it out, which Doogie Techboy didn't do, said the hose was looped and that it should work fine. It wasn't installation, it was the machine.

So I called the service center. I was routed to a manager who said the hose had to be "looped twice in the back not the side" and that he'd have the tech who came over here call me. Well, apparently, that guy wasn't a manager, he was a parts guy and had no clue what he was talking about at all, which came out later. Misrepresenting himself and diagnosing the issue just pissed me off more.

Doogie calls and gets all defensive and says that he's right even though the plumber with tons more experience says it's the machine. As we talk, he gets cocky and I get pissed. He was asking if I was going to believe a plumber over a service tech. I said, "Um. Yeah." So, anyway, our conversation did not go well because he was  a jerk. I was sweetness and light. Okay, I wasn't a witch, but I told him I was frustrated. I had 3 expert opinions and was out $60 for the plumber. I wish I had called him an asshole, but I hung up instead.

That's when the manufacturer called me. My husband had been working that angle. He had secured a partial reimbursement of the plumber's fee of $60. BUT, as I spoke to this very courteous representative, it became painfully obvious that while they were appalled by the treatment I received from the service center, it was still an installation problem and I was screwed. Even worse, they called back 5 minutes later to tell me that, because it is an installation issue, we won't get the reimbursement either.

So. I have dishpan hands, am out $60, still have a broken dishwasher, 3 "expert" opinions, and have to call the installer which is a whole other story that I don't want to go into, but this is going to be... not good.

I just want to tell Doogie Techboy what he can do with his damned looped hose. And it won't be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment