Thursday, July 15, 2010

Freelance Illness

I love most things about freelancing. The one big inconvenience is the lack of being able to be sick. I have no sick time. I am not allowed to be sick. I have deadlines and due dates and while my regular clients would have no issue if I explained, some of my newer ones won't give a hoot that I'm sick. That's why I'm at my computer today.

I swam a lot last week. It was hot and humid and my husband had taken the week off. I did only the most crucial and time sensitive jobs and enjoyed being outside. On Monday of this week, my ear started to hurt. As a mom, if one of my kids complains, I take them to the doctor. When I feel sick, I ignore it. I'm too busy to be sick so I simply deny that I could even consider the possibility. It rarely works out.

By Tuesday, my balance was suffering and I couldn't hear at all from my right ear. I hip-checked a Pop Tart display in the grocery store while trying to navigate the aisle. I couldn't stop laughing... I think the store staff thought I was drunk.

Wednesday, my Facebook friends threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't see a doctor. Considering the pain, lack of balance, and irritation of my kids because I kept saying, "What?" to everything they said to me, I made the appointment.

This morning, the doctor couldn't even look in my ear. It was too swollen. Oh, did I mention that I lost my balance stepping onto the scale? Yeah. Fell off the scale. Nice, right? I had to assure the nurse that I had not been drinking.

Went straight to the pharmacy to pick up my drops (driving very carefully with my head tilted to the left which seems like it would help, but doesn't) and when I got there they said they didn't have them. In fact, they wouldn't have them until tomorrow. I'm not too proud to tell you that I started to cry. Listing to the left, I explained that my ear hurt and my balance was a mess and I NEEDED the drops. NOW. The tech took pity on me, asked me to sit down and had an urgent conversation with the pharmacist who tried not to stare at me. They called my doctor and got another order for a generic that they had in stock. It took me 3 tries to slide my debit card through the machine, but I finally completed the transaction and left with my miracle in eardrop form.

I feel like crap. I have very little focus. My ear hurts. I am trying to work, but failing miserably. Forgive me, clients, but I'm taking a sick day.

3 comments:

  1. I really feel for you. i got my infection from swimming and always use ear plugs now. I always use swimmer's ear after I swim (drops for swimmer's ear) and sometimes after I have a shower. Might help you in the future. I understand the tears, too! - rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach that's nasty - I've had a bouncing ear infection (each time I think it's gone it'll skip over to the other side - grr) for about 3 weeks now. Self-employed too and no time for sickdays... Hope yours is all better now - there should be a freelance union that comes to the aid of the ill self-employed by rushing round with hot water bottles and chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete